A Book of Common Tibetan Buddhist Prayers
Every year, Buddhist "great prayer festivals" are held in Bodh Gaya, in Tibet, and in other sacred spots around the world. A Book of Common Tibetan Buddhist Prayers is a compilation of English-language translations of the very highest quality of important aspiration prayers and sutras commonly recited during these festivals, and in daily practice in hundreds of monasteries and dharma centers throughout the world.
Also included are classical and modern praises to Buddha Shakyamuni and to Manjusri, special aspirations for each major dharma tradition of Tibet, a general aspiration by His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama, and a lovely new long life prayer for His Holiness. All translations are accompanied by easy-to-use phonetic versions of the Tibetan texts.
The third edition includes a beautiful new version of the famous prayer by Jamgon Kongtrul Lodro Thaye of Calling to The Guru from Afar, a revised introduction on the purpose of prayer in Buddhist practice, and revised endnotes explaining each of the texts included in the book. This edition now includes the version of Praising The Qualities of Manjusri found in the Wisdom of Manjusri book.
Every translation has been carefully edited and improved wherever possible for this new edition, and all Sanskrit words in the translations are now presented in correct form..
Please note: When ordering, please check if you wish the perfect bound or the ring bound version.
The contents now include:
- Eight Auspicious Noble Ones
- Sutra of Recollection of The Three Jewels
- Sutra of The Heart of Prajna
- Prayer to Avert Negativity
- White Parasol Goddess
- Shakyamuni Ritual, Treasure Trove of Blessing
- Praise to The Muni: "Skillful Compassion"
- Supplication to Gather Control
- Seven Line Prayer
- Spontaneous Fulfillment of Wishes
- Three Principal Features of The Path
- Clouds of Flowers over The Ocean (Manjusri sadhana)
- Professing The Qualities of Manjusri
- Sea of Two Accumulations (praise to Manjusri)
- White Lotus That Shines from Within (praise to Manjusri)
- Clouds of Flowers (cont'd)
- A Modest Longevity Prayer (for HH Dalai Lama)
- Aspiration for Noble, Outstanding Conduct
- Extremely Concise Appeal for Riches of Jambhala
- Five Deities Who Protect from Danger
- Hook of Red Lightning
- Offerings to The Eight Classes
- Offerings to The Twelve Tenma
- Great Acarya
- Sutra of The Three Heaps
- Dedication of Burnt Offerings
- A Concise Prayer of Dedication
- Aspiration from "Undertaking The Conduct"
- Calling The Guru from Afar
- Karma Chagmed's Dewachen Aspiration Prayer
- Aspiration for Nonsectarian Expansion of The Muni's Teachings
- Aspiration for Expansion of Nyingma Tradition
- Aspiration for Expansion of Kagyu Tradition
- Aspiration for Expansion of Sakya Tradition
- Aspiration for Expansion of Gelug Tradition
- Vajra Knot Aspiration Prayer
- Embroidering The End with Auspicious Verses